Saturday, June 27, 2009

Workout progress.

Got a full morning work out in for the first time in about a week. It was a little hard to get motivated, but once the jump ropes were done I sort of accidentally started the rest of the work out. I just sort of moved from one to the other without really paying attention. Still, the workout was tough. Here's a run down of how it went, since I haven't done an exercise report yet.

Squats were fine, those are old hat now.
Rowing was similar.
Pushups: it blows my mind that I can do 2 full sets of 10 real pushups now. Crazy! I had to go onto my knees halfway through the third set and for the fourth set though.
Double Katana: This was tough. Like, borderline impossible tough. I actually found I could only do two when I was actually standing on the band. So I used the door mount at around mid-calf height and found that this made the exercise doable, but even so I couldn't quite complete the second two sets. So i did a fourth half set.
Shoulder Fly: Tough but doable. 3 x 12 reps.
V-Sits: After the first 3 or 4, each sit-up was like a punch to the gut. They totally knock the wind out of me in a similar fashion. I get sort of stuck exhaling until maybe a second or two after I'm horizontal again, then it's a purely reflexive long deep inhale. I also feel these in my lower back a lot more than other ab workouts we were doing. I think this is what causes the wind to get knocked out of me.

I had no idea that more core muscles were so week. I don't know if these sit ups should suck so much, but it definitely feels like they are effective.

Also, I really like that jump rope has become almost meditative for me. I get a nice even burn in my calves and thighs, but I don't get winded the way I did when I started. If you had told me when we started at just 250 jumps a day that I would eventually bang out 1000+ like it was nothing, I would have called you crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Your probably curving your lower back during the v-sits, putting pressure on the back muscles. As much as possible make it a strong "V" sit and not a wimpy "U" sit. This will improve as your core improves. Also, don't hit the ground hard on the way down.

    Yeah, your a jumproping fiend!

    ReplyDelete